Behavioral Health

University Family Care (UFC) members can access behavioral health services either through University Family Care or through a Regional Behavioral Health Authority (RBHA).

Behavioral health providers can help you with personal and emotional problems that may affect you and your family. Examples of situations when behavioral health services can help are when you are feeling anxious or depressed more days than not; when you have experienced a trauma, such as a major accident, or you were the victim of a crime, or physical, emotional or sexual abuse; when you have lost a loved one; or if you are in a domestic violence situation.

If you think you or your family member may have problems with a mental illness or substance abuse, behavioral health services can be very helpful. You do not need a referral from your primary care provider (PCP) to receive behavioral health services. With your written consent, UFC can coordinate your care with other types of programs and services when applicable.

Behavioral Health Emergencies

What is a behavioral health emergency?

  • Any situation where, because of your mood or thinking, you believe you might hurt yourself or someone else.
  • When someone’s thinking changes rapidly to the point where the person is not able to recognize reality from fantasy. Sometimes the person does not realize what is happening and may not want help, but help is available through 911 or a local emergency room.

Behavioral Health Crisis Assistance

(Crisis lines listed below are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)

You should call 911 immediately and ask them to help determine the best course of action for you in these situations. When calling 911 – make sure you or the person calling states it is a behavioral health crisis. 

Yavapai and Gila Counties

  • Call the Crisis Response Network at (877) 756-4090.

Cochise, Graham, Greenlee, Pima, Pinal, Yuma, La Paz, and Santa Cruz Counties

  • Call NurseWise at (866) 495-6735, TDD/TTY: 711.

Members with both Medicare & Medicaid

If you have Medicare and Medicaid (AHCCCS) and you are over 18 years old, you will now get both your medical and general behavioral health and substance abuse services through UFC.

Now you can call one place to get help. If you have any questions, call our Customer Care Center.

Important Contact Information

Customer Care Center

(800) 582-8686, TTY users please dial 711

Crisis Response Network (CRN)

(800) 631-1314

(Please call this number if you are in one of the following counties: Maricopa, Yavapai, Mohave, Coconino, Apache, Navajo and Gila)

NurseWise Crisis Line

(866) 495-6735 

(Please call this number if you are in one of the following counties: La Paz, Yuma, Greenlee, Graham, Cochise, Santa Cruz, Pinal and Pima)

Members with Medicaid Only

Cenpatico Integrated Care

Members residing in the following Counties receive behavioral health services from Cenpatico Integrated Care:

Cochise, Greenlee, La Paz, Pima, Pinal, Yuma, Santa Cruz, Graham and zip codes 85542 and 85192.

Please call Cenpatico Integrated Care if you have questions about your services.

Main Number: (866) 495-6735 (Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)

TDD/TTY: (877) 613-2076

Health Choice Integrated Care

Members residing in the following counties receive behavioral health services from Health Choice Integrated Care:

Apache, Coconino, Gila, Mohave, Navajo, Yavapai (except zip codes 85542 and 85192)

Please call Health Choice Integrated Care if you have questions about your services.

Main Number after October 1, 2015: 1-800-640-2123

Hearing Impaired: 1-800-367-8939 or Arizona Relay Service at 711